The energy generated from wind turbines is a significant power source in the renewables industry. With ever evolving legislation, investment and advancement of technologies, agility has become key in navigating the landscape of the wind sector.
Xi has extensive experience in providing noise and vibration solutions for all scales of wind turbines and work with a variety of stakeholders in the sector, including developers, manufacturers, regulatory bodies and residential communities.
Using sophisticated analysis and modelling techniques, Xi are able to assess wind turbines in order to reduce unwanted noise and vibration problems.
Xi provide a wind range of engineering services to the wind energy sector including:
- Wind turbine acoustic measurement and assessment in accordance with ISO 61400.
- Seismic ground vibration measurements and modelling to determine the impact of wind turbine vibrations on ultra-sensitive scientific equipment such as seismic stations used for nuclear testing monitoring, gravitational wave detectors and astronomical observatories.
- Wind turbine noise surveys.
- Wind turbine noise damping.
- Tonal and broadband noise mitigation solutions that reduce the acoustic impact of wind turbines on neighbouring communities.
- Drivetrain design support including finite element analysis of fatigue risk.
- Lifetime extension analysis based on the fatigue life of towers and foundations.
- Generator design support including finite element modelling of electromagnetic and structural interactions.
- Underwater noise modelling associated with the installation and operation of offshore wind turbines and its impact on the marine environment.
- Expert witness testimony related to noise and vibration from wind turbines at public inquiries.