Job Vacancy : Mathematical Modeller
Due to exciting new projects, we are growing the team! We are looking for a Mathematical Modeller to join our multidisciplinary team.
Xi Engineering Consultants Ltd is a world-class organisation which accelerates our clients’ product development and solves technical challenges.
We work with robots, high-end audio, exploratory technologies, medical devices, renewable technologies and systems, buildings, MEMS devices and many, many more interesting projects. We are a team of multidisciplinary engineers and scientists and though each of our engineers has an area of interest and expertise, the whole team works together across sectors and services. Due to exciting new projects, we are growing the team.
You are a versatile, degree-level qualified in a Mechanical, Structural, or physics-related subject project engineer/scientist, with excellent technical skills and experience in the application of mathematical principles to either field and/or desk-based activities.
You will be capable of, and responsible for, producing concise, thoroughly researched and technically comprehensive reports and proposals in a timely and on scope manner. You will have excellent writing skills and display an attention to detail. You will need to have the ability to understand and adhere to scientific standards as well as review technical writing. Occasional field work in sometimes challenging conditions will be required.
As part of our technical team you will help to: identify, design and carry out numerical simulations in the fields of acoustics, structural dynamics and/or electro-mechanical devices using COMSOL Multiphysics. Our philosophy with regards to simulations is that to have value they must be grounded to the real world, so you will also help design and participate in measurement campaigns that will validate models. Finally, we work extensively to international mechanical engineering, health and planning standards (some of the team even help to develop these standards).
While we would not expect you to have worked on all of the project types and have all of the experience listed, you will be working on projects that involve elements of each. Please ensure that your application highlights how your experience ties back to the skills below. An openness to collaboration and some training on these types of projects is key to the role and the company.
Candidates are invited to apply via CV and a covering letter (further details below) which links your experience and skills to this role – *please note, your application will not be considered if you do not include a covering letter, email or message*
Examples of projects for this role:
- Numerical simulation of rotating electrical machines
- Numerical simulation of coupled structures and acoustics behaviour
- Experimental data capture
- Design and implementation of measurement campaigns
- Post Processing, Data Analysis and interpretation of results
- Environmental planning & standards
- Work with measurement team to design experiments that will feed simulation calibration
Technical Experience and Skills
- Numerical modelling using COMSOL Multiphysics.
- Signal processing and statistical analysis of data
- Validation of model output using data and industry standards
- Acquisition of measurement data such as vibration and acoustic information
- Reporting to clients in meetings and through written technical reports
- Ability to interpret CAD/technical drawings
- Ability to recreate geometry for computational modelling based on technical drawings
- Ability to produce technical drawing with CAD software
- Signal processing utilising and including algorithm design/development to investigate acoustic and vibration characteristics
- Extensive experience in numerical modelling. Use of COMSOL Multiphysics preferred.
- Proficient in the use of Matlab
- Software capabilities: Familiar with LabVIEW (or similar, ie Python), SolidWorks (or similar, ie, Solid Edge, Pro Engineer)
- Sound knowledge of materials science and dynamics
- Good written English and ability to write concise technical documents
- Familiarity with acoustic and/or electro-mechanics
- Familiarity with signal processing and statistical techniques
- Familiarity with design optimisation techniques would be advantageous
- Project Management, cost and time management
Business Experience and Skills
- Awareness of method statements and risk assessments when planning experimental procedures, data analysis in line with relevant standards and regulations
- Adherence to industry and health and safety standards and regulations, compliance with Quality Management Systems such as ISO9001
Reporting and Presentation Skills:
- Results are reported directly to clients, therefore good written skills are essential
- Ability to present technical results clearly to non-specialist professionals and clients
- Presentation of results at conferences, in both academic and professional environments
- Diligent review of technical writing and calculations
- Attend networking events to build client relations
- Liaise with prospective clients to identify future opportunities
- Draft proposals and design project packages to meet client requirements
- Maintain relationships with clients following project completion
- Work closely with the marketing and business development teams to produce content and carry out follow up actions from their activities
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD degree in Engineering or relevant STEM subject
- A valid passport and right to work in the UK, A full valid driver’s licence
Xi Engineering Consultants Offering
- Challenging projects in designing state of the art solutions to dynamic engineering problems
- Highly creative and qualified team of fellow engineers
- Friendly and interesting working environment in central Edinburgh
- Competitive salary, DOE
Please apply by 5PM Monday 16th of March 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org with a covering letter* and CV (please note – your application will not be considered if you do not include a covering letter or email).
For more information please contact Rebecca Horton, Operations Director.