Job Vacancy : Mathematical Modeller
Due to exciting new projects, we are growing the team! We are looking for a Mathematical Modeller to join our multidisciplinary team.
We are a world class engineering firm that excels in merging the virtual and real worlds. We work with robots, high end audio, medical devices, exploratory and renewable technologies and systems, buildings, MEMS devices and many other interesting projects. To effectively deliver these technical advances, we are a team of multidisciplinary engineers and scientists. Though each of our engineers has an area of interest and expertise, the whole team works together across sectors and services. Due to exciting new projects, we are growing the team.
About you and & the role
You are a versatile degree-level qualified project engineer or scientist with at least a few years’ experience in the application of mathematical principles to either field and/or modelling-based activities.
A deep understanding of Physics and/or Mathematics will be necessary for this role. As findings are presented to clients via written reports and presentations, strong communications skills are a must as well as the ability to review technical writing. Occasional field work in sometimes challenging industrial or remote conditions will be required. All staff participate in weekly Business Development, Project Management and Marketing activities in order to keep our networks, content and systems up to date and relevant. Most importantly, you are curious, motivated and adaptable as we often work on multiple and new emerging technologies simultaneously, this takes flexibility and the ability to navigate changing priorities.
As part of our technical team, you will help to: identify, design and carry out numerical simulations in the fields of acoustics, structural dynamics, fluid dynamics and/or electro-mechanical devices using COMSOL Multiphysics. We believe that for simulations to have value, they must be grounded to the real world, so you will also help design and participate in measurement campaigns that will validate models. Finally, we work extensively to international mechanical engineering, health and planning standards (some of the team even help to develop these standards).
Systems and support
Using specialist software packages such as COMSOL Multiphysics, MATLAB, LabVIEW, Solidworks and Noisemap, you will be capable of, and responsible for, producing concise, thoroughly researched and technically comprehensive reports and proposals in a timely and on scope manner. You will have excellent writing skills and display an attention to detail. We work collaboratively across teams and with our clients, excellent interpersonal skills are a must.
Training & Working at Xi
While we would not expect you to have worked on all of the project types listed below or to have used all of the software listed above, you will be working on projects that involve elements of each. Please ensure that your application highlights how your experience ties back to these skills and sectors. An openness to collaboration, learning and undertaking training on these types of projects and skills is key to the role and the company. Depending on experience, we are prepared to negotiate on the working hours and remuneration. Salary will be competitive.
Candidates are invited to apply via CV and a covering letter (further details below) which links your experience and skills to this role – *please note, your application will not be considered if you do not include a covering letter, email or message*
Examples of projects for this role
- Numerical simulation of coupled structures and electromagnetic behaviour
- Experimental data capture
- Post processing, data analysis and interpretation of results
- Design and implementation of measurement campaigns
- Environmental planning & standards
- Assist with the design of experiments that will feed simulation calibration
- Fluid dynamics related to medical devices
- Battery optimisation
Technical Experience & Skills
- Experience in numerical modelling. Use of COMSOL Multiphysics preferred.
- Signal processing and statistical data analysis
- Validation of model output using data and industry standards
- Acquisition of measurement data such as vibration and acoustic information
- Reporting to clients in meetings and through written technical reports
- Ability to interpret CAD/technical drawings
- Ability to recreate geometry for computational modelling based on technical drawings
- Ability to produce technical drawings with CAD software
- Signal processing including algorithm design/development to investigate acoustic and vibration characteristics
- Proficient in the use of MATLAB
- Software capabilities: familiar with LabVIEW (or similar, i.e. Python), SolidWorks (or similar, i.e., Solid Edge, Pro Engineer)
- Sound knowledge of materials science and dynamics
- Good written English and ability to write concise technical documents
- Familiarity with acoustics and/or electro-mechanics
- Familiarity with signal processing and statistical techniques
- Familiarity with design optimisation techniques
- Project management, cost and time management
Business Experience and Skills
- Awareness of method statements and risk assessments when planning experimental procedures, data analysis in line with relevant standards and regulations
- Adherence to industry and health and safety standards and regulations, compliance with Quality Management Systems such as ISO9001
Reporting and Presentation Skills
- Results are reported directly to clients, therefore good written skills are essential
- Ability to present technical results clearly to non-specialist professionals and clients
- Presentation of results at conferences, in both academic and professional environments
- Diligent review of technical writing and calculations
- Attend networking events to build client relations
- Liaise with prospective clients to identify future opportunities
- Draft proposals and design project packages to meet client requirements
- Maintain relationships with clients following project completion
- Work closely with the marketing and business development teams to produce content and carry out follow up actions from their activities
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD degree in Engineering or relevant STEM subject
- A valid passport and right to work in the UK; full valid driver’s licence
Xi Engineering Consultants Offering
- Challenging projects in designing state of the art solutions to dynamic engineering problems
- Highly creative and qualified team of fellow engineers & professionals
- Friendly and interesting working environment in central Edinburgh
- Flexible/blended working offered
- Salary, DOE: £27,000-£35,000
Please apply by 5PM 1st June to email@example.com with a covering letter* and CV (*please note – your application will not be considered if you do not include a covering letter or email) For more information please contact Rebecca Horton, Operations Director.