Job Vacancy : Project Engineer
Due to exciting new projects, we are growing the team! We are looking for a Project Engineer to join our multidisciplinary team.
We are a world-class engineering firm that excels in merging the virtual and real worlds. To effectively deliver these technical advances, we are a team of multidisciplinary engineers and scientists. Though each of our engineers has an area of interest and expertise, the whole team works together across sectors and services. Due to exciting new projects, we are growing the team.
About the role:
You are a versatile project engineer a with at least a few years’ experience in the application of mathematical principles to either field and/or desk-based activities. You will need to have the ability to understand and adhere to scientific standards as well as review technical writing. As findings are presented to clients via written reports and presentations, strong communications skills are a must. Occasional fieldwork in sometimes challenging conditions will be required.
Systems and support
Using specialist software packages such as Matlab, Labview, Solidworks, Noisemap and COMSOL, you will be capable of, and responsible for, producing concise, thoroughly researched and technically comprehensive reports and proposals in a timely and on scope manner. You will have excellent writing skills and display an attention to detail. We work collaboratively across teams and with our clients, excellent interpersonal skills are a must.
You are a versatile, degree-level qualified in an engineering, acoustics, or physics-related subject, with excellent technical skills and experience in the application of mathematical principles to either field and/or desk-based activities.
Based in CodeBase (Scotland’s largest tech incubator you will help to: identify, design and carry out measurement methodologies; post-process and analyse real-world observations; and use these to calibrate models, and identify design improvements, solutions and optimisations for our clients’ products. On top of our field and measurement work, we use multiphysics simulation as one of our key tools. Though you may not be a mathematical modeller, some understanding of how simulation can be used could be an advantage, as your role will dovetail with this function of the technical team. We are a multidisciplinary team of engineers who do real-world measurements and virtual prototyping to help our clients overcome their challenges and get to market quicker by merging the real world with the virtual.
Training and working at Xi
While we would not expect you to have worked on all of the project types and have all of the experience listed, you will be working on projects that involve elements of each. Please ensure that your application highlights how your experience ties back to the skills below. Openness to collaboration and some training on these types of projects is key to the role and the company. Depending on the experience we are prepared to negotiate on the working hours and remuneration. Salary will be competitive.
Candidates are invited to apply via CV and a covering letter (further details below) which links your experience and skills to this role – *please note, your application will not be considered if you do not include a covering letter, email or message*
Examples of projects for this role:
- Experimental data capture
- Design and implementation of measurement campaigns
- Post Processing, Data Analysis and interpretation of results
- Environmental planning & standards
- Data preparation for input into finite element computational modelling
- Work with Modelling team: design measurements that informs simulation calibration
Technical Experience & skills
- Familiar with experimental data capture techniques utilising electronic sensors, data acquisition (DAQ)
- Conduct field surveys to collect vibration and acoustic data
- Signal processing utilising and including algorithm design/development to investigate acoustic and vibration characteristics
- Ability to interpret CAD/technical drawings
- Generation and review of Environmental Impact Assessments and Statements
- Structural and acoustic computational modelling to develop test environments.
- Ability to recreate geometry for computational modelling based on technical drawings
- Ability to produce technical drawing with CAD software
- Experience of practical “Hands on” Skills (Machinery mechanics, Electronics, Soldering, etc)
- Software capabilities: Familiar with MATLAB, LabVIEW (or similar, i.e. Python) COMSOL Multiphysics (or similar, i.e. ANSYS), SolidWorks (or similar, i.e., Solid Edge, Pro Engineer)
- Sound technical knowledge in engineering
- Good written English and ability to write concise technical documents
- Familiarity with acoustics desirable and numerical modelling desirable
- Project Management, cost and time management
Business experience & skills
- Quality Management: method statements and risk assessments, planning experimental procedures in line with relevant standards and regulations
- Adherence to industry and health and safety standards and regulations, compliance with Quality Management Systems such as ISO9001
- Reporting and Presentation Skills: Diligent review of technical writing and calculations
- Client Services: networking & events, liaise with current & prospective clients , Draft proposals and design project packages to meet client requirements
- Work closely with the marketing and business development teams
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD degree in Engineering or relevant STEM subject
- A valid passport and right to work in the UK, A full valid driver’s license
Xi Engineering Consultants offering
- Challenging projects in designing state of the art solutions to dynamic engineering problems
- Highly creative and qualified team of fellow engineers and colleagues
- Friendly and interesting working environment in central Edinburgh
- Competitive salary, DOE
Please apply by 5 PM 20th October 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org with a covering letter* and CV (*please note – your application will not be considered if you do not include a covering letter or email) For more information please contact Rebecca Horton, Operations Director